Date:      Thu, 24 May 2012 11:19:54 +0000
From:      "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net>
To:        sthaug@nethelp.no
Cc:        rizzo@iet.unipi.it, net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: use of non-contiguous masks in address lookups ?

On 24. May 2012, at 07:43 , sthaug@nethelp.no wrote:

>> every now and then the issue comes up on whether we still need
>> to support non-contiguous masks in address lookups.
>> I seem to remember someone (perhaps on this list) making a
>> case for their presence, but forgot the details.
>> So, does anyone know of a practical use of non contiguous masks ?
>
> I vote for removing non-contiguous masks. They are incompatible with
> CIDR, which was introduced in 1993 (!).
>
> Non-contiguous masks have been unsupported in many routers produced
> the last 10 years or so.

Contrary I still know people using them and relying on it.  Not sure on
which version they are.

I am not quite sure what micro-optimizations on legacy IP will help
us after a decade or longer.  Let it rest and die gracefully the next
years.  Of course, fixing bugs still considered good:)

/bz

   It does not matter how good you are. It matters what good you do!