Date:      Wed, 08 Sep 1999 15:47:10 -0400
From:      Ugen Antsilevitch <ugen@xonix.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   XFree strangeness...

All right.. I have here 4.0 snapshot from 27 of August. I also installed
XFree 3.3.4 - yes, they say it's not the best release and it does behave
weirdly but this is not the problem..
 Anyhow, i run XF86Setup and it starts X in 640x480 mode which is good.
I am able to configure it , however results never get saved and restart
of server doesn't work. I copied the same files XF86Setup uses as X
configuration file (it's in /tmp/.XF86Setupsomething etc) and tried
to run X with those files - but i only get 320x200 mode.
 Now, i do have ATI Rage Fury card which as itself is not supported
by XFree yet AFAIK. But it should work in SVGA mode? Instead
SVGA server ignores all my mode settings and goes right for 320x200 built-in.
 Why does it do that? How is it that XF86Setup succeedes to run X in 640x480
with the same config file? And what the hell do i do now (short of buying another
video card)?

--Ugen