Date:      Wed, 03 Sep 1997 22:30:53 -0700
From:      grady@scam.XCF.Berkeley.EDU
To:        Jacob Bohn Lorensen <jacob@jblhome.ping.dk>
Cc:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>, multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unsuccesful attempt at SB16PNP and no PNP bios; what am I doing wrong?

> From:  Jacob Bohn Lorensen <jacob@jblhome.ping.dk>
> Subject:  Re: Unsuccesful attempt at SB16PNP and no PNP bios; what am I doing
 wrong?

> I am not able to control the volume with xmix - there seems to be only
> two volumes: no sound and almost no sound (I have the SOunblaster
> connected to my stereo and have turned the volume control on the
> stereo on max). Furthermore, the volume level alternates between
> on/off when I try to raise or lower it. /usr/sbin/mixer seems to work
> ok, but I still can't get enough output.

I just installed snd970903.tgz (which fixed the panic I reported
to you, Luigi -- thanks!), and have the same problem.  I can provide a little
more information:  I tried testing this by running timidity, and at
first thought it was generating no volume, but remembering your
message, I cranked the timidity volume to 200%, and turned by little
speakers all the way up, and was able to make out some sound.  It
was quiet, but it sounded correct, except that it was sped up by a
factor of 3 or so (confirmed by waching the time indicator progress
in timidity).o

FYI: most of the kdump output looks like a loop of:
   364 timidity CALL  write(0x6,0xefbfd0b0,0xc)
   364 timidity GIO   fd 6 wrote 12 bytes
       "CURT 2982 10"
   364 timidity RET   write 12/0xc
   364 timidity CALL  write(0x6,0xefbfd093,0x1)
   364 timidity GIO   fd 6 wrote 1 bytes
       "
       "
   364 timidity RET   write 1
   364 timidity CALL  ioctl(0x3,FIONREAD,0xefbfd1ac)
   364 timidity RET   ioctl 0
   364 timidity CALL  write(0x4,0x11558,0x2000)
   364 timidity GIO   fd 4 wrote 8192 bytes
       "[8192 bytes of raw music data]"
   364 timidity RET   write 8192/0x2000

However, it starts by opening /dev/dspW (which I have soft-linked
to dspW1):
   364 timidity CALL  open(0xaa60,0x6,0x1)
   364 timidity NAMI  "/dev/dspW"
   364 timidity RET   open 4
   364 timidity CALL  ioctl(0x4,0xc0045005 ,0xefbfd664)
   364 timidity RET   ioctl 0
   364 timidity CALL  ioctl(0x4,0xc0045003 ,0xefbfd664)
   364 timidity RET   ioctl 0
   364 timidity CALL  ioctl(0x4,0xc0045002 ,0xefbfd664)
   364 timidity RET   ioctl 0
   364 timidity CALL  ioctl(0x4,0xc004500a ,0xefbfd664)
   364 timidity RET   ioctl 0

These are the only ioctl's on fd 4 before the writes.

Also, when timidity starts up (before it plays anything), it says:
    Output rate adjusted to 21739 Hz

I don't know if this is relevant.  I hope the information helps.

	Steven