Date:      Wed, 22 Sep 1999 15:14:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        skalir scalar <skalir@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: serial cable login

	Please don't crosspost. This is a question, it belongs on
-questions.

On Wed, 22 Sep 1999, skalir scalar wrote:

> I dont need to have a serial console, But i would like to know howto
> be able to login over a serial cable from one machine to another.
>
> I just need to know how to enable the serial login on the fbsd 3.X
> box... thanks

	Unfortunately at this time there is no way on -Current or -Stable
to get just the tty without first booting with a serial console. IIRC it
has something to do with the way the new boot blocks work. Assuming there
is no keyboard plugged into the machine you want the tty on, just put '-P'
in /boot.config (no 'quotes'), edit the /etc/ttys file as indicated in the
handbook and reboot. Your tty will come up after the boot. Meanwhile, if
you are going to have a serial terminal hooked up anyway, you might as
well have the console, it's pretty slick stuff. :)

Good luck,

Doug
--
"My mama told me, my mama said, 'don't cry.' She said, 'you're too young a man
to have as many women you got.' I looked at my mother dear and didn't even

    - John Belushi as "Joliet" Jake Blues, "I Don't Know"