Date:      Fri, 13 Apr 2001 10:49:20 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Casey <chriss@phys.ksu.edu>
To:        Yoriaki FUJIMORI <fujimori@grafin.fujimori.cache.waseda.ac.jp>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: linux/buildworld/compaq fortran

Sorry for not pasting my compile errors in the previous mail, they were
long gone. Things are churning again and will post them when they
reappear.

The hope was to run the compaq fortran under the linux emulator, but I had
the port bomb out during the libtool build. So there seems to be some hope
for the fortran/linux_base combination. The last time I had a fbsd system
up here with 4.1 the linux binaries compiled on redhat with the compaq
compiler were faster than on linux. This got me the OK to try and make a
complete useable system but I was not able to get the compiler to build
everything due to some odd path problems in time so back to redhat it
went.

I know absolutly nothing about fortran, all the theorists here use it so
that is the primary concern and what all this hinges on. They are not
happy with the problems linux is giving them locking up the consoles all
the time and the sticker shock of Tru64 is pretty bad.

Thanks

On Sat, 14 Apr 2001, Yoriaki FUJIMORI wrote:

> I do not know how many things you would like to realize at one time.
>
> Just my small experience.  Compaq's fortran for Linux/Alpha can create
> Linux binaries on FreeBSD/Alpha with linux-emulator.  I have compiled
> many numerical analysis programmes with Compaq's fortran.
>
> Meanwhile, Compaq's ccc is merged(?) in FreeBSD4.3RC2 and it creates
> FreeBSD native binaries, but the fortran kit does not speak FreeBSD yet.
> So, you can not use the fortran kit for buildworld.
>
> Yoriaki Fujimori

Chris Casey
Unix System Administrator
KSU Physics Department