Date:      Sun, 27 Jul 2003 19:54:05 +0300
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Auth fails partly for imap

> Hi!
>
> That helped! Now I can log into my IMAP account even with Pine. I will
> use SSL to secure the authentication though.
>
> Oddly though even the login from Pine worked after the initial
> installation and configuration of FreeBSD and all other applications.
> Now I moved the server from an internal network to the Internet and if I
> can remember correctly Pine failed after this move. Any ideas why the
> change of IP (and hostname) would cause this kind of behaviour? Have I
> missed some setting somewhere with PAM or something?
>
> I have this in my /var/log/messages and it from the time the server was
> on the internal net:
>
> Jul 25 18:39:50 silakka imapd[5956]: login:
> localhost.milkyway[127.0.0.1] kypeli CRAM-MD5 User logged in
>
> This must be from Pine since Mozilla and webmail use plain text. Now I
> am even more confused :)

Ok, some updates that I came up with.

If my doubts are correct the problem might be in the sasldb auth method.
I have set up my user originally (as a test) to authenticate from the
sasldb and added my user using saslpasswd2. It then added as the realm
my old hostname which now have changed since I moved the computer to the
Internet. That's why the CRAM-MD5 failes.

And if my thoughts are correct there is no way to use CRAM-MD5 (or other
method than plain text) if you want to authenticate with PAM from MySQL
like I do. I am correct? :)  Hence I have to live with the fact that
Pine needs that line of configuration to work with PAM/MySQL?

> Best regards,
> Johan Paul

Once again,

Johan Paul

>> Andrew.
>>
>> On Sun, Jul 27, 2003 at 11:57:04AM -0400, Lucas Holt wrote:
>>
>>> Historically, Netscape has not supported encrypted (even if it is
>>> weak) authentication for imap and pop3.  Slowly, they add standards
>>> as people complain.  I'm sure the mozilla project is no different.  I
>>> know for a fact that early builds of mozilla did not support cram md5.
>>>
>>> Basically, webmail and mozilla are sending clear text
>>> authentication.  Pine is a bit smarter and uses cram md5.  Look
>>> through the pine preferences and see if you can downgrade it to clear
>>> text.  If not, there is probably a compile option to use cleartext.
>>> (thats how they do it in imapd at least)

>>> Lucas Holt
>>> Luke@FoolishGames.com
>>> FoolishGames.com  (Jewel Fan Site)