Date:      Wed, 23 Jan 2002 02:07:07 -0500
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        "Douglas R. Spindler" <spindler@dnai.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A question from a convert from Windows to FreeBSD

On Wednesday 23 January 2002 12:50 am, you wrote:
> I just want to get the OS loaded on my machine.  I have not found any DOCs
> that tell me what files to download to make a bootable CD.  The FreeBSD.org
> web site says it is easy to install.  It maybe easy, but I can't find the
> docs on what files I need.  The links are to directories.  Sorry to be so
> inept!

The easiest way is to download the ISOs.  No, the easiest way is to order the
CD-ROMs from FreeBSD mall.  The doc should be clearer that this is easiest.

The second easiest is to download the ISOs and burn them into your own CD.

Doing the thing with the directories is lots harder, but the doc pages are a
little too "nuetral" in explaining this, IMHO.  A big "start here if this is
all new" that really tries to get people to order the physical media would
IMHO be a big improvement.  Plus it would get a little more money into the
FreeBSD project which isn't a bad thing, really.