Date:      Sun, 21 Jul 2002 16:06:53 +0100
From:      <sroberts@dsl.pipex.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-gnome@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Installing gnome2  with XFree86-4 - Why is this so difficilt?????

Hello,
     I have a few questions concerning the above task:-

1] From the *one* reply I've had to my earlier post concerning the gnome2
install failure, it appear that I have to re-install XFree86-4.2.0. Why is that
after running pkg_delete on XFree86-4.0.2, "make" doesn't go out and get a
fresh set of files for the re-install?

Am I missing something about the make process here? Presumably there was
something wrong with the XFree86-4 sources I got yesterday when I installed it,
so I would have thought it logical that I should be obtaining a fresh set of
source files for the new install.

2] To do the install of XFree86-4 anyways, what I did was pkg_delete of XFree86-
3 in /var/db/pkg; rm -rf /usr/X11R6/*, then editing /etc/make.conf to reflect
that the XFree version is now 4

Is there something that I missed here? I ask in case it's the reason
that /usr/ports/graphics/gle repeatedly flaking out on the gnome2 install.

Replies from *anyone* is appreciated.
Regards,
Stacey