Date:      Fri, 29 May 1998 00:03:04 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Leif Neland <leifn@internet.dk>
To:        vagner <vagner@spdc.ti.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sendmail antispam

On Sat, 23 May 1998, vagner wrote:

> I have this rule set in sendmail.cf but i would like to
> also check for valid username@their.domain instead of just the
> domain name.I checked the sendmail site for a rule but am at a
> loss.
>
> anyone know how to do this?

You can't. The host in question might not be online at the moment. For
instance, many systems call in at regular intervals to pick up mail at the
machines at work.

And even if the system is online, it might not want to tell you if a
username is ok before you try to deliver.

Or the system you deliver to might just be the outside of a firewall,
which happily accepts mail to any username inside, and passes it on to the
real, unreachable mailserver inside.

Leif Neland
leifn@internet.dk