Date:      Thu, 1 Oct 1998 08:55:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        larry_nilsen <larry_nilsen@eee.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: login as root?

On Thu, 1 Oct 1998, Jim Mock wrote:

>At 02:08 AM 10/1/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Once you get logged in, type whoami at the prompt.  It should say root.
>Then you can add yourself to the wheel group.  To do it, you'll need to
>know how to use a text editor.  Read the man page for vi (man vi) for the
>commands used with vi.  It'd be a good idea to open them on a separate
>virtual terminal so you can read it while you're using it.
>
>To add yourself to the wheel group, do the following at the prompt..
>
>cd /etc
>vi group

I strongly recommend that you use the "ee" text editor if you are a
beginner. "Vi" is incredibly hard to understand for a beginner.

So instead of "vi group" your should type "ee group".

(To everyone else: Don't even start. I don't want editor wars. I just want
to make it easy on a new user.)

Catchya Later,		|	UW Mechanical Engineering
Jason Wells		|	http://weber.u.washington.edu/~jcwells/