Date:      Sat, 29 Apr 2000 22:28:54 +0700 (NOVST)
From:      Nickolay Dudorov <nnd@mail.nsk.ru>
To:        smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hlt instructions and temperature issues

In <200004291445.IAA09070@Ilsa.StevesCafe.com> Steve Passe <smp@csn.net> wrote:

> Did you use the version that had the explicit instruction between the sti
> and hlt:
>  ENTRY(default_halt)
>  	sti
> 	movl	$0, lapic_tpr
> 	hlt
>  	ret
> or one of the other variations we discussed?
>
> I would like to repeat your experiment.

	I've made three 'make -j32 buildworlds' using shown version
of the swtch.s patch. (It was on the ABIT BP6 based system with two
Celerons 366 overclocked to 550 - I know, I know ;-). All three was
successfull and the total time (52-54 minutes) was in the same range
as on the same system without the patch.  But now I use the kernel
with the 'sti' and the next instruction swapped. The temperature of
idle system changed from ~55 deg. Celsius to ~35 deg. And due the
'make buildworld's it was about the same as without the patch
(may be ~5 deg. lower).

	N.Dudorov