Date:      Wed, 14 Jun 2000 10:01:03 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Steve Mitchell <WSGM@srskansas.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD

Steve Mitchell wrote:

> I just purchased a copy of your FreeBSD from CompUSA and am having a hell of a time installing it. I have never used Unix before. I am a NT tech for the state of Kansas.
>
> PII 350 Intel MMX
> E-IDE CD-ROM 40X/AKU
>
> I get all the way through the installation and then get a gray screen. Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong? I have followed the text The Complete FreeBSD step by step; tried 3 times, not luck. I looked at several other books at Barnes and Noble but none of them explained Installation. I'm obviously not giving you enough information so What should I be telling you so you can help me?

Well, you need to describe your system and which install method you
used. Did you boot from the floppies or the CDROM. There are known
problems with sysinstall on 3.4 and new boot floppies from
ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/3.4-RELEASE/floppies/
will help.

FreeBSD needs the root partition ("/") to be under cylinder 1024. With
LBA turned on , that is ~8.4GB. If you slice a 20GB drive into one
slice and then only use one partition, you violate that rule. I have a
100MB /, a 300MB swap, 500MB /var, 1.5GB /tmp, and ~12GB /usr.

FreeBSD 4.0 has a different set of quirks but the new ata driver
handles large drives better than 3.x did. Some 4.0 systems have
problems with UDMA66 and you have to watch the boot to see what is
going on. It doesn't sound like you are getting that far.

My first install used the "novice" and typical. I can't tell what all
I did because it worked. I would only remember what went on if I had
problems. Don't expect your first custom install of a Unix system to
work any better than a custom install of NT would for your first try.
The typicals almost always work and then you can fine tune it. The big
difference with FreeBSD is you can fine tune it without rebooting. You
won't have to do that until you do a make world or customize your own
kernel.

Some terminology - Freebsd doesn't require anything but mode 3 on your
video card. The gui is x-windows and that is an application that was
included on the CDROM. If your video card isn't on the hardware list,
that isn't a FreeBSD problem, it is an www.xfree86.org problem. You
just may be able to get help on -questions.

There are some sites that have first hand experiences at
http://www.freebsd.org/docs.html. You should also spend sometime in
the "for newbies" and "tutorials" sections on http://www.freebsd.org.

Good luck,

Kent

> Thank you for your help. I'm very excited to learn Unix...
>
> Steve Mitchell, ITC II

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com