Date:      Thu, 01 Apr 1999 15:42:24 -0600
From:      "Dan Dockery" <danarchy@endeneu.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "James Arthur" <arfa@www.jado.org>
Subject:   Re: SuSE Linux specifications

>What I am planning to do is to obtain specifications of the latest major
>Linux distributions (SuSE, RedHat, Debian, Slackware, Caldera, and the
>FreeBSD Distribution). I will then tabulate the results, so that a direct

FreeBSD isn't a distribution of Linux.  It is a seperate operating
system completely based on 4.4 BSD.

>I would like the specifications of the latest official version released (or
>the next revision if one is planned for within the next month or two).
>* Distribution version and revision date

3.1 is the latest release.  With cvsup it's possible to stay current
with the 3.1 source right up to the day.  It's also possible to upgrade
to the 4.0 kernel beta.

>* Supplied kernel

The FreeBSD kernel.

>* Supported processors (and whether enhancements for MMX, P2/3, K6-2/3 etc

I don't believe there are any specific enhancements in the kernel
supplied by default.  It's possible to optimize the kernel config file
a bit for certain processor types, but mostly as far as I can tell,
that would be more of a function of the compiler.

http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/handbook146.html#277

>* libc/glibc version
>* C/C++ compiler version (and whether it is gnu or ecgs)
>* Default shell (version number)
>* X Windows? (and what version of XFree86)
>* Is KDE or GNOME supplied?

The version of most of the supplied utilities is fairly current.  I
believe the gnu compiler is standard.  I'm sure it would be easy to
install egcs, though.  Otherwise, keeping your software up to date is
very easy with the ports collection, which tends to stay fairly
well-abreast of changes to the various products.

>* Setup utility (name and version)

sysinstall

>* Price (and if it is available for free download)

Free.  I think the CD's are like $30 from Walnut Creek (a 4-CD set),
but I've always done by setups via FTP (easy to do with the boot
floppies)

>* Amount of supplied software (total amount in MB, and a few of the more
>impressive items)

Gobs.  ~3 CD's worth of software if you buy the WC collection otherwise
you can download everything from the ports collection.

>* Support Options
>* Other features that make your distribution stand out
>* Anything else you think should be mentioned

Greater stability than Linux as well as an ability to scale better on
higher-load sites.  Also, the FreeBSD file system is far less prone to
disaster in the event of power failure than Linux's FS - and while it
used to be a bit slower, with the addition of Softupdates, it's pretty
close speed-wise too.

-Dan