Date:      Tue, 4 Sep 2018 09:57:00 -0700
From:      Ryan Moeller <ryan@ixsystems.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: iSCSI issues after upgrading to 11.2 x64 RELEASE

> The NIC's are Intel based using igb kernel driver:
>=20
> igb0: flags=3D8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 =
mtu 9000
> =
options=3D6403bb<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,JUMBO_MTU,VLAN_HWCS=
UM,TSO4,TSO6,VLAN_HWTSO,RXCSUM_IPV6,TXCSUM_IPV6>

I see your MTU is 9000, and as described by the other thread you linked =
to, there are issues with 9k jumbo cluster allocation.
Some detailed notes are here, but the quick summary is: set MTU < 4096
https://gist.github.com/freqlabs/eba9b755f17a223260246becfbb150a1

> Can anyone suggest anything to stop my system from completely locking =
up and becoming unresponsive?
> At the moment I'm not sure if switching to 'Stable' or 'Current' =
branches is a good solution?

The problem has been mitigated for a while on 12-CURRENT, so that might =
be worth trying. Otherwise I=E2=80=99ve been hoping a committer will put =
this fix in 11-STABLE, but in the meantime you could manually apply the =
patch:
https://reviews.freebsd.org/D16534 <https://reviews.freebsd.org/D16534>;

- Ryan=