Date:      Mon, 14 Oct 1996 08:21:40 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org, jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com
Subject:   Re: Buslogic controller, Sync mode & a SCSI disk error

> As Joe Greco wrote:
> > Hi Rod,
>
> Not me :), but...

:-)

> > Is there a good tool to do this sort of stuff under FreeBSD (besides doing
> > it by hand with the scsi command)?
> >
> > The NCR controllers in use around here do not have a built in BIOS utility
> > (like the Adaptecs do) to do low level formatting and verification/bad
> > block remapping.
>
> What's wrong with scsiformat(8)?  It used to be in the 2.2 branch for
> quite some time, but also finally found its way into 2.1.5R.

1) Because I didn't know it was there;
2) Because generally I am more interested in a utility to do verification
   and bad block remapping.

Usually by the time I decide to low level a drive, it is being swapped out
for a new unit that has already been burned in for a while...  but it is
nice to know that a utility is available.  :-)  That will save some time
when I am setting up new systems.

Any ideas on a verification/bad block remapper utility?  Would it be
hard to do?

... JG