Date:      Wed, 8 Sep 1999 18:37:41 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        chris@tourneyland.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Reverse DNS question

chris@tourneyland.com wrote:

> I've been reading a little about DNS, inlcuding about the responsibility a
> DNS server it has for reverse DNS. For example, if I own the Class C
> 111.72.34.* (which I don't), I'm responsible for the 111.72.34.IN-ADDR.ARPA
> zone.

No you're not. You appear to know little about DNS, so it looks like
Doug was right in suggesting you don't bother setting up a DNS server,
unless you want to go and buy the DNS & Bind book from O'Reilly.

> Here's my problem: I have 5 static IP addresses, that my ISP leases me
> along with my ADSL line. So, who's in charge of reverse DNS for those
> 5 addreses?

Well, why not ask your ISP?

> Unless I'm mistaken, the granularity of reverse DNS isn't such that I
> can handle just my 5, and the ISP does the rest.

You are partly correct, but take a look at RFC 2317 and you'll see there
is a way around this.

--
Ben Smithurst            | PGP: 0x99392F7D
ben@scientia.demon.co.uk |   key available from keyservers and