Date:      Fri, 03 May 2002 11:09:13 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Scott Hess <scott@avantgo.com>
Cc:        fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Filesystem

Scott Hess wrote:
> Hmm.  And I just noticed an interesting effect from softupdates (I think).
> If I follow my perl script with 'ls | xargs rmdir', and then immediately
> run the perl script again, I get the 'Too many links' error with fewer
> directories created.  So:

[ ... ]

> The number of directories created by the second pass varies from run to
> run.  Sometimes it's even all 32765 directories...

The commit of the unlink operations are pending, so the real number
of links, relative to the effective number of links, is much larger.

Probably you should beat up Poul and Kirk, since they are supposedly
currently working on a DARPA funded "UFS2" that's supposed to overcome
field size limitations; it's just possible (but unlikely) that they
have missed this one.

Since they aren't changing the directory structure to a btree or
anything (I don't know if they are reserving space or a type field
so someone else can do that later without redoing the FS), you are
still doing a bad thing when you put a lot of files or directories
into a single directory.

PS: If you want a flat FS with a single namespace, you should use
inodes and manipulate them with NFS handles, instead.  Then it can
be as flat as you want.

-- Terry