Date:      Sat, 6 Oct 2018 10:48:35 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VAAPI not working with latest updates

On Fri, Oct 5, 2018 at 1:19 PM Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'll start by admitting that I am not sure where to look about this, bu
> after the last week's massive updates, all of my video players are failing.
> I have tried mplayer, totem, mpv, xine and vlc. None work.
>
> vlc give the most detailed error message (more than one line):
> libva info: VA-API version 1.2.0
> libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
> libva info: Trying to open /usr/local/lib/dri/i965_drv_video.so
> libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_1_2
> libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
> i965: Failed to submit batchbuffer: Input/output error
> QObject::~QObject: Timers cannot be stopped from another thread
>
> All others just show the i965 line.
>
> I am assuming that VAAPI is the problem as I can use avidemux3_qt4 without
> any problem and, as far as I can tell, it does not use VAAPI.
>
> Running 11.2-stable r338990 and drm-stable-kmod. All ports are current as
> of last night. GPU is Sandy Bridge.
>
> I have not tried to play a video since 28-Sept. and a LOT of ports have
> been touched since then, so VAPI may not be at issue, it just looks very
> suspicious. I have tried rolling back libva and libva-intel-driver, to
> 2.2.0 but that did not help.
>
> Any suggestions on what I might look at? I'm not happy about opening a PR
> with so little to go by.

Found the problem... py-mako was not installed. Oddly, though the Makefile
for mesa-dri clearly lists it as BUILD_DEPENDS and it is pulled in when I
build the port, it is not listed as a dependency by "pkg info". It appears
that build dependencies are not listed in the pkg database... only runtime
dependencies, but, typically, things that are both run and build
dependencies are only defined as BUILD_DEPENDS. After all, they are
installed to build, so they will still be there to run the program. THIS IS
BROKEN!

In any case, there is no real issue with the port and certainly with VAAPI.
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com