Date:      Mon, 24 Jul 1995 03:12:06 -0700
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Strange entries in /usr/src/Makefile

 * Maybe I should have been more stuborn about adding them in the
 * first place :-).

I wish you were. :)

 * :-).  I suggest you read the pmake tutorial in the 4.4BSD man set,
 * also as /usr/share/doc/psd/12.make/* on your FreeBSD 2.x system.
 * It doesn't cover .mk files per se, but it does cover a lot of
 * ground.

Thanks.  Well, I managed to "merge" all the skeleton targets into one,
the result is now sitting on thud and will go out to the "ports" list
for testing shortly.  This change reduced 100 lines from bsd.port.mk.
(Yeah I know, not much but it's a start. ;)

 * You need a 1.x cvs tree, we can't have a 1.x cvs tree on Freefall legally,
 * and I am not suppose to have one here myself :-(.

Oh, is that so?  I thought the agreement was to stop distributing the
source, I didn't know that it included just having them....

 * > But that doesn't mean we should try to keep them separated as much as
 * > possible.
 *
 * That may not mean it, but I am pretty sure the standing idea here is
 * that ports should not contaminate /usr/src with port specific changes.

Ayyyyy sorry, I meant to type "that does't mean we shouldn't try".  We
are in agreement here. ;)                          ^^^^^^^^^

 * > Where can I find the old mail archives?
 *
 * /home/mail/archive on freefall.

I already looked there, they don't have mails older than a few months.
That's why I asked for "old" mail archives. :)

 * Julians reply was before I patched it, which was before I remeber the
 * idea was that it would be a symlink to the location of ports.  If
 * Julian and Jordan say nuke it still, then go nuke it, but like I said
 * in the opening.  Any site complaining about lost functionality lands
 * right in your lap.

Ok, well I'll wait a few more days to give people to voice their
opinions before nuking it.

Satoshi