Date:      Wed, 15 Dec 2004 20:51:49 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Rae Kim <z49x2vmq@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How can I make a program keep running even after I logout?

On 2004-12-15 13:33, Rae Kim <z49x2vmq@gmail.com> wrote:
> I connect to my computer from school computer.
> I want to cvsup or/and portupgrade and logout but the program keep running?

Put it in the background.  Optionally, you may wish to redirect its
output to a file and use tail -f on that file to see how things are
progressing:

	bash-2.05b$ ( cvsup -g -L 2 -h cvsup.example.net > logfile 2>&1 ) &
	bash-2.05b$ disown %1
	bash-2.05b$ exit

The example shown above works for GNU bash, hence the prompt.  Other
shells have ways of doing the same thing too.

- Giorgos