Date:      Wed, 6 Oct 1999 22:30:37 -0400
From:      Ben Williams <williamsl@home.com>
To:        FreeBSD questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re[2]: IMAP -> POP3 gateway?

   Extremely  unlikely for me to convince them to switch to IMAP would
qualify for the "understatement of the year" award. I'll grab cyrus on
my  local  machine  soon  and  have  a look. I have a basic idea for a
framework  in  my head already but if I have to write it I'll probably
have to look into the RFC's. For that matter I would probably come out
easier  just  hacking  the  app I'm installing for them to use POP but
that's what I'm trying to stay away from .. any other ideas?

--
 Ben   <mailto:received@email.com>

On or about Wednesday, October 06, 1999, sometime around 5:18:04 PM, you said:
ppvo> On  6-Oct-99 at 13:27, Ben Williams (williamsl@home.com) wrote:
>> FreeBSD,
>>
>>   Does  anyone  know  how  I  could go about setting up an IMAP server
>> (uw-imap "IMAP4rev1 v12.250" from ports) to talk to a pop3 server? The
>> reason  I want to do this is the company I am working for has a custom
>> smtp/pop3  server  which  holds all of its messages internally and the
>> application  I  am  trying  to  put together for them already has IMAP
>> support  built  into  to,  but  putting  the IMAP server on the system
>> results in empty mailboxes because the custom smtp/pop3 is holding all
>> the messages in non-standard ways and places.
>>
>> Any ideas and all help appreciated.

ppvo> The Cyrus IMAP server comes with a POP daemon that translates the
ppvo> POP requests into IMAP.  That's the exact opposite of what you want;
ppvo> but it still might provide a framework.  (I'm assuming that it is
ppvo> extremely unlikely that you could convince them to switch to a standard
ppvo> IMAP server with POP access; even one like Cyrus that keeps all the
ppvo> mail in a private area and forces access via IMAP/POP.)

ppvo> -Pat