Date:      Sat, 04 Oct 1997 00:23:56 +0930
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Douglas Carmichael <dcarmich@mcs.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What kernel configuration is needed for the 3Com 3C589D EtherLink III PCMCIA card?

Before attempting an kernel hacking, I suggest you learn to wrap the
text lines in your messages.  8)

> I might be needing to use Ethernet in the near future, and I am
> wondering what changes to my kernel configuration do I need to make
> to drive a 3Com 3C589D PCMCIA EtherLink III card? I have an NEC Versa
> 6050MH with FreeBSD 2.2.2-RELEASE and PAO-970616.

Ok.  You can back out the PAO changes; they're not necessary in your
case.

> Here is my kernel configuration file:
> #
> #	Sample Laptop Configuration
> #	for lenlen.mt.cs.keio.ac.jp (Toshiba Libretto 30)
> #	Tatsumi Hosokawa <hosokawa@mt.cs.keio.ac.jp>

Probably not a good thing to have started with such a confused and
packed out config.  You've accumulated a lot of rubbish here.

> maxusers	20
> options         CHILD_MAX=128
> options         OPEN_MAX=128

You might want maxusers higher, and shouldn't need the other two there.

> options		MATH_EMULATE		#Support for x87 emulation

You don't want this; your system has an FPU.

> options		NFS			#Network Filesystem
> options         MFS                     #Memory Filesystem

Do you know what either of these are?  Have you been using them?
Probably best to leave them out.

> options		"SCSI_DELAY=15"		#Be pessimistic about Joe SCSI device

Do you have a SCSI adapter?

> options		BOUNCE_BUFFERS		#include support for DMA bounce buffers

Do you have an ISA busmaster adapter and > 16MB of memory (no)?  You
don't want this either.

> options         XSERVER                 #Include X server support

You're not running PCVT, so this is unused.

> options		FAILSAFE		#Be conservative

This isn't actually used much, and hurts performance where it is.

[... lots of PAO stuff elided ...]

> # Dont remove these two lines!
> controller	crd0
> device		pcic0   at crd?
> device		pcic1   at crd?

But there are three!

> controller	fdc0	at isa? port "IO_FD1" bio irq 6 drq 2 vector fdintr
> disk		fd0	at fdc0 drive 0
> disk		fd1	at fdc0 drive 1

Do you actually have two floppy drives?

> # Sound devices
> controller snd0
> device sb0 at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 vector sbintr
> options SBC_IRQ=5
> device sbxvi0 at isa? drq 5
> device sbmidi0 at isa? port 0x330
> device opl0 at isa? port 0x388
> device pca0 at isa? port IO_TIMER1 tty

Why do you have both a soundblaster and the pcaudio driver configured?

> pseudo-device	sl	2
> pseudo-device	ppp	2
> pseudo-device	tun	1

You run SLIP, kernel _and_ user ppp?

Hmm.  It's generally better to roll your config from almost scratch
rather than to take someone else's (for a different machine, no less)
and cut it down.

mike