Date:      Wed, 16 Aug 2000 22:11:19 +0530
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sun's web site

Take a look at www.sun.com today. The biggest thing on it is the GNOME
footprint.

Is this of interest to BSD?  I think so, for a few reasons:
(1) Since Sun has an interest in making gnome work on solaris (they
have announced that gnome 2.0 will get bundled with solaris when it's
ready), it will hopefully not develop in too linux-specific a way
from now on.
(2) Gnome works very well with FreeBSD, and I think with all BSD's,
and pushing it (and KDE) can definitely help push the BSD userbase.
(3) It is yet another counterexample of corporates disliking GPL
software.  I hate these license wars and, after reading these lists
for some time, I know I'm not alone (though I don't know what the
percentages are). But a far-from-insignificant section of the BSD
advocates enjoys flaming the GPL violently, at any provocation, in a
way that seems to do more harm than good.  Lots of software being
developed for linux is ported to BSD but not emphasised very much
by the BSD community, and I think the licensing is part of the reason;
why not get over this hangup, and use these things to promote BSD
the same way they're promoting linux?

Rahul.