Date:      Thu, 2 Apr 1998 11:03:24 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jay Richmond <jayrich@room101.sysc.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   unusual dump problem (fwd)

Hello,

Since upgrading from a 2.2-stable system (built around Sep 1997) to
2.2.6-release, I started to experience a strange dump problem.

I run dumps every night to a separate hard disk in the system every night
through cron.  It really doesn't need the user attention to change tapes
and so forth, and for months it worked fine.

Now the strange part is:  when running dump through cron (as root in
/etc/crontab) it ALWAYS hangs midway through dumping the large /usr file
system (there is plenty of space on the backup disk by the way) every
time.  However, when I run it as root normally, it completes EVERY time
without a hitch.  There are no errors associated with the hang, just a
look at top reveals that all the dump processes have gone to "pause" mode.
At first I thought it might be waiting for some kindof user input or
something, but then why would I need user input when running through cron
always on a certain file system, while when running it normally as root it
completes the entire backup fine every time (to give you an idea I've done
each about 20 times, just to make sure that I wasn't playing the odds.)

Anyone know what could be causing this?
Please cc any reply via e-mail.

Thanks for your time,
Jay Richmond