Date:      Wed, 8 Dec 2004 13:01:30 +0100
From:      Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
To:        Scott Mitchell <scott+freebsd@fishballoon.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Has anybody EVER successfully recovered VINUM?

--dPW7zu3hTOhZvCDO

On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 11:54:45AM +0000, Scott Mitchell wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 12:34:27PM +0100, Stijn Hoop wrote:
> > I'm just saying that in my case it didn't work out well. As with any ot=
her
> > advice, it might just work for you :)
>=20
> Sure, I'm definitely not disagreeing with anything you're saying here.  I=
'm
> inclined to think I have just been lucky the few times I've had to do this
> in the past, and to maximise my good luck I should take the same
> precautions that you do in the future :-)

Oops, I think I didn't exactly get my point across, which was 'it may very
well be that your way works for you, which is great'. I certainly was not
trying to sound condescending (I think is the right word?).

> I haven't played with gvinum yet either, but I'll probably be looking at a
> hardware solution (FreeBSD-supported hardware RAID or network-attached
> storage appliances) when the time comes to replace these servers.  Vinum
> has been excellent, but I always find it really traumatic to deal with,
> mostly because I have to touch it every 6 months at most.  There's always=
> frantic hour re-reading the documentation, followed by a lot of "I really,
> really, hope this works" moments before hitting Enter :-(

Yeah, I certainly recognize those moments. Having gotten through a lot of
trouble in the last few months did do some good in that regard, I know my w=
ay
around vinum a bit more. But unfortunately I have heard some horror stories
with hardware RAID as well, so I'm staying with vinum in the forseeable fut=
ure
(at least I can help to find bugs there unlike firmware bugs in a PCI
controller card).

Cheers,

--Stijn

--=20
"What if everything you see is more than what you see -- the person next to
you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to anoth=
er
world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or =
you
accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it real=
ly
is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected
things."
		-- Shigeru Miyamoto

--dPW7zu3hTOhZvCDO

--dPW7zu3hTOhZvCDO--