Date:      Wed, 29 Sep 1999 23:16:19 -0700
From:      "+ +" <uvatha@my-Deja.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   packet forwarding in 2.2.7

I already sent this to a newsgroup, but I realized I might get a better response here:

-------------------------

Hi,

I've been using 2.2.7 as my firewall, web server, email server, etc for some time now.  It's been doing a great
job, but now I have a new task for it: I want to forward incoming TCP packets on port 6000 to another machine on my local network.

Searching through some of this newsgroup's archives
seems to point towards the ipfw rule "fwd", but my version doesn't have it.  Do I have to upgrade?  I'd really rather not mess with it as it's working just fine; more importantly, the machine's hard drive is a bit cramped and probably doesn't have the space to do a make world.  (Not to mention that it's so ancient that the compile would probably take a week.)

I was hoping the 'divert' option (which my ipfw *does*
have) would do the trick, but it doesn't seem to want to let you specify a hostname along with a port.  I guess I thought it would be something like this:

ipfw add divert localhost,6000 tcp from any to any targethost,6000

where targethost is the host on my local network, and (of course) localhost is the firewall.

Any thoughts?