Date:      Mon, 12 Nov 2012 23:57:21 -0800
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Subject:   Re: well, try here first...

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 06:39:52AM +0100, Polytropon wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 21:22:00 -0800, Gary Kline wrote:
> > Anyway, linux is
> > 	installed; the box is on my internal IP net.  I can ssh *out*. to my
> > 	server, vut from my server or wherever, I cant ssh back in.
> >
> > 	doing an % ssh 10.47.0.114  OR ssh tao gives me an instant
> > 	"Connection refused".  if I try an ssh -X tao I get a string like
> > 	"Connnection closed".  can any of you network wizards or setup
> > 	wizards clue me in.  {FWIW:: the ssh stuff is from OpenBSD.}
>
> Have you checked that tao is actually running a SSH server?

	ja vohl.  futher dhclient is there.  I'll go back to comparing
	tao to ethic.

> The way _how_ to enable it depends on the distribution you're
> using and is very different among the Linusi.

	rt., and this is fedora, my least fav distro.  But I've always had
	trouble   with ssh, even with FBSD.

> The FreeBSD equivalent would be something like
>
> 	# /etc/rc.d/sshd start
>
> or putting sshd_enable="YES" into /etc/rc.conf to have this
> task at boot.
>
> Depending on what Linux you are using, this may be as easy as
> on FreeBSD... or overcomplicated, because "nobody needs this
> anyway". :-)

	no mo' energy.  I hear my bed singing sirens' songs:)

	5 mins later: I ssh'd from tao to ethic then used the ssh-vvv
	for debug.  Somewhere this string shoewd up.  as noted, this
	is from OBSD:

	SSH2_MSG_IGNORE

	so  if anybody running openbsd or fedora, or anybody who has stubbed
	his toe this way, give a hollar.

	S'All,

	gary

--
 Gary Kline  kline@thought.org  http://www.thought.org  Public Service Unix
              Twenty-six years of service to the Unix community.