Date:      Mon, 29 Oct 2012 21:35:56 +1000
From:      Robert Backhaus <robbak@robbak.com>
To:        Thomas Mueller <mueller23@insightbb.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Snag in math/py-numpy: checksum fails

On 29 October 2012 19:50, Thomas Mueller <mueller23@insightbb.com> wrote:
> from Robert Backhaus <robbak@robbak.com>:
>
>> The first thing I'd do is delete the numpy distfiles you've got from
>> ports/distfiles and try again. those 'range not satisfyable' seem to
>> indicate you've got a partial distfile  that might be tripping it up.
> Yes, I had previous pdf documentation distfiles of the same name, but the
> fetch part still went to the ftp or http server and fetched the wrong files.
> As I pointed out, I fetched the correct pdf documentation files with lynx;
> URL being
>
> http://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/numpy-ref.pdf
> http://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/numpy-user.pdf
>
> proper directory being numpy and numpy-1.6.0
>
> My previous version of numpy was 1.5.something.
 That's interesting. The file I downloaded and checked was the one
referenced in your build script,
http://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy-1.6.0/numpy-user.pdf . But unless you
had deleted the existing numpy-user.pdf, it would have tried to
'complete' the download of what fetch saw as a 'partial file'.

This is, of course, something that the port should handle gracefully, but isn't.