Date:      Thu, 31 Jan 2002 00:42:23 -0500
From:      Tadayuki OKADA <tadayuki@mediaone.net>
To:        Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com>
Cc:        Alexander@Leidinger.net, tadayuki.okada@windriver.com, will@csociety.org, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/graphics/gd Makefile pkg-comment

On Wed, 30 Jan 2002 23:01:44 -0500 (EST)
Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com> wrote:
> > Mikhail haven't  implemented such feature (i.e.  version range check).
> > Just  put   regular  expression   to  LIB_DEPENDS  won't   work.
>
> Why  would  not  it?  It  can be  just  ``libB''  or  ``libB.[2-5]''  or
> ``libB.[1-36-9]'' or  ``libtcl8?'' (the  last example denotes,  that any
> Tcl release 8.x will do). The regexps are pretty powerful...
Have you actually tried it?

> > And I don't know if he has such intention.
>
> Yes, it is  pretty easy. The comment  can be modified to  "Note that lib
> can be a regular expression".
Please try it first.

> > If he create  a patch for bsd.port.mk, can rewrite  it to use optional
> > Iknob.
>
> I don't  understand the need  for the  knob nor its  specification. What
> will it look like? A boolean? A list?
This is the example for ports/graphics/gd.

.if defined(IGNORE_SHLIB_VER)
LIB_DEPENDS=    jpeg:${PORTSDIR}/graphics/jpeg \
                png:${PORTSDIR}/graphics/png \
                freetype:${PORTSDIR}/print/freetype2
.else
LIB_DEPENDS=    jpeg.9:${PORTSDIR}/graphics/jpeg \
                png.5:${PORTSDIR}/graphics/png \
                freetype.8:${PORTSDIR}/print/freetype2
.endif

> > Besides we  don't know how many  ports will use this  feature, we have
> > only one example.
>
> Plenty. Almost anything, that depends on jpeg, png, pbm, Tcl -- whatever
> else is in /usr/local/lib...
But it doesn't mean their maintainers want it.

> > I don't think  portmgr will accept such patch  without obvious demand.
> > So I think 'ifdef' is only answer for now.
>
> Build it, and they will come.
If other maintainers want it.

--
Tadayuki OKADA