Date:      Thu, 5 Apr 2001 16:46:56 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        "First, Tim" <firsttim@msu.edu>
Cc:        "'freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 4.3RC2 on AlphaServer 2100A (Lynx)

First, Tim writes:
 > t20: using interrupt type 1 on pci bus 0
 >
 > halted CPU 0
 >
 > halt code = 7
 > machine check while in PAL mode
 > PC = 1608c
 > P00>>>

This sounds bad.  A machine check in pal mode is sometimes indicative
of bad hardware.  Are you running any OS on this box right now?

As a stab in the dark, I've tried disabling a probe for the second PCI
hose, which we have no way of dealing with even if we do find
it. (I've also heard that even though they're documented, they don't
exist in the field). I've left a kernel for you to try at:

http://people.freebsd.org/~gallatin/kern.flp

This time, please boot verbosely (boot -v)

If this fails to work, try pulling the 2 128MB memory modules.

Please let me know if either work (the new kernel or the memory pull).

Good luck,

Drew