Date:      Sat, 21 Sep 2002 02:12:06 +0600
From:      fn@hungry.org (Faried Nawaz)
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Cc:        VGirnet@megadat.com
Subject:   Re: WCCP performance questions

At an ISP I do random work for, I have three Pentium III 1GHz boxes set up
with 512MB RAM and 12GB of dedicated cache space on IDE drives each.
They're running FreeBSD 4.6-STABLE (updated today to 4.7-RC) with squid
2.4.6 using diskd.  They're doing WCCP off a Cisco 3640 (hint: make sure you
use "ip cef").

They used to handle 10-20 requests/sec, but the ISP's expanded recently and
they've hit 35+ requests/sec.  At peak hours there are 600 dialup users
online.  From the MRTG graphs, it doesn't seem like they the proxies are
maxed out yet -- they're still responding to requests in very short
timeframes.

All three proxies show 50-75% of data being served out of cache.  I might
experiment with using heap LFUDA as the cache replacement policy to see if
it helps for my type of users.  cache_mem for squid is set to 170MB (~ 1/3rd
of main memory).  Each proxy is set up with the other two as cache peers,
and each proxy also runs its own caching nameserver (dnscache, from djbdns)
which uses up 40MB of RAM.

FreeBSD on the systems uses ipfilter to route packets to squid.  The only
special kernel config options I used were to set maxusers to 0 and to use
8192 mbuf clusters (more may or may not be needed for your mix of users; use
"netstat -m" to guide you).

squid isn't very CPU-intensive (uses ~ 20-30% CPU on my boxes).  I don't see
how multiple processors will help, since it's not multithreaded.  However,
maxing out on memory and disk space will definitely be useful.

Faried.
--
The Great GNU has arrived, infidels, behold his wrath !
If I wanted a GF,                Values, not variables.