Date:      Wed, 12 Feb 2003 01:40:59 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
Cc:        alpha@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Open Watcom compiler

Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> Porting OW will not be a waste of my time. Fixing the gcc'isms will.
> The former I do out of interest, the latter will only be something
> I could possibly do because nobody else has an interest in doing
> it (so far).

If you were to make the compiler run native on FreeBSD x86 as a
result of a "cd /usr/ports/tools/xxx; make all install", I would
be willing to go through and fix *all* the "GCC'isms" in a "make
world" (ports gets to be someone else's problem), assuming the
Watcom compiler supports the more equivalent of "linker sets" for
data (e.g. for SYSINIT).  You will also need to support alignment
and structure packing primitives, so device driver code does not
have to be rewritten as pure assembly.

Getting the changes committed to FreeBSD would be your problem, but
from my point of view, fixing those kinds of problems is trivial,
and I'm willing to do the "trained monkey" work of doing it, if
there's a compiler there.

I haven't done this with TenDRA, because TenDRA has an overzealous
preprocessor, and doesn't support inline assembly or linker sets
adequately.

-- Terry