Date:      Sat, 22 May 1999 19:15:11 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        sthaug@nethelp.no
Cc:        eischen@vigrid.com, Steve.Gailey@db.com, nate@mt.sri.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ifconfig: changing mac address

As sthaug@nethelp.no wrote ...
> > Things like DECnet set the MAC address. Don't ask me why though.
>
> Because there is a one to one correspondence between the DECnet (Phase
> IV) address and the MAC address. Ie. if you specify the DECnet address,
> you have also implicitly specified the MAC address.

Ah, that rings a (faint) bell. I only remember because it bit a colleague
of mine once. They had a machine sitting behind a bridge and assumed that
would keep their traffic local. Did not work too well because the
bridge had been programmed to block the default MAC address, and not
the one that DECnet made out of it.