Date:      Mon, 3 Oct 2016 15:11:48 +0100
From:      Mike Clarke <jmc-freebsd2@milibyte.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dependency explosions

On Mon, 3 Oct 2016 13:11:43 +0000
Grzegorz Junka <list1@gjunka.com> wrote:

> Shouldn't all packages default to noX dependencies? If I am not mistaken
> FreeBSD is predominantly a server-side system, with X running only
> occasionally

I'd disagree with that. I don't know whether or not the majority of
FreeBSD installations are servers or personal computers but the chances
are that the majority of server installations will have relatively few
packages installed whereas most PC's are likely to make use of far
more packages and are also likely to be using X. Building from ports
to get the required options would be a much bigger task for these
installations than it would be for the servers.

--
Mike Clarke