Date:      Fri, 01 Oct 1999 09:45:49 +0100
From:      Alan Judge <Alan.Judge@indigo.ie>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NetApp NFS & FreeBSD

Jeff> Wow, 80Mbps (assuming b=bit, B=byte convention).

Yep.  I did a real quick test with a perl script creating 50000
different 20K files.  Results below, for a speed of around 3700KB/s or
29Mb/s, so a good deal slow.  But NFS latency issues may be involved
and using multiple processes could be faster.

perl ~judgea/f.pl  2.69s user 22.45s system 9% cpu 4:25.60 total

Watching with netstat -i, I/O drops off within a few seconds of the
end of the run, so there is little caching happening (on the FreeBSD
side).

I'm not sure exactly what you wanted to test with caching, but I tried
writing 50000 different things to the same file, and got:

perl ~judgea/f2.pl  1.77s user 11.78s system 6% cpu 3:24.06 total

(or 4800KB/s, 38Mb/s)

The difference is probably mostly directory and path handling stuff
and different caching behaviour on the Netapp, I'd guess.

These are all write speed tests.

I don't have time today to write a better benchmark.  If you or anyone
wants to send me a script, I can probably run it.
--
Alan