Date:      Fri, 18 Apr 1997 09:06:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:      The Classiest Man Alive <ksmm@cybercom.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: optical drives

On Fri, 18 Apr 1997, Michael Smith wrote:

> > has anyone done a side by side comparison of SyJet [1.5G] and Jaz?
>
> I haven't busted the door on my Jazz yet, and it gets quite a lot of
> use.  OTOH, I've had one cart die on me (media error) and another grow
> at least one defect (I'm not sure if it's successfully mapped it,
> although it claims to do ARRE and AWRE).

I have a jaz drive and I LOVE IT!  By turning off my IDE hard drives, I
can boot it just like a C: drive, which means I have cartridges for my
various OSes, from DOS to FreeBSD.  Oddly, I have had a couple of
cartridges go bad on me, too, although one was my fault; on the plus side,
I can tell you that your jaz drive will survive a fall of about one meter
to the floor.  The cartridge inside, however, will be toasted.

As far as SyQeust's offerings go, their media is not as ubiquitous as
iomega's.  I can buy jaz cartridges anywhere--Lechmere, Circuit City, you
name it.  Also, their drive line has been through several changes, and
they've dropped support for some of their models (like the EZ-135) leaving
many customers (like me) stranded.  From what I've seen, performance looks
too close to pick nits.

Choose your path wisely.

Peace,
K.S.