Date:      Wed, 18 Nov 1998 15:23:08 -0500
From:      Gary Schrock <root@eyelab.psy.msu.edu>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        miker@scifair.acadiau.ca, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Backing up via rdump using ssh

>Actually, we have a script hacked up to do this without replacing rsh.

Doug's script works pretty well.  I used a version of it myself for doing
this when I was doing the same thing.  (And once I again I say thanks to
Doug for that).

>Of course you should have RSA keys set up and installed the 'team' port.
>The ssh-add will take care of proxying your passphrase.  Team is a
>buffering process, tune the blocksizes for best performance.  If the
>machines are slow you might rebuild sshd with the 'none' encryption type
>and change the ssh command lines to 'ssh -c none'.  Lastly, make sure the
>dump blocksize and #blocks/tape numbers match your tape drive (ours is for
>a 2GB drive).

Just to add something here, another thing to do is to try some of the other
encryption methods.  The default one is pretty slow, so slow machines don't
do well with it (I couldn't get the tape drive to stream at all when using
it on the 486dx/66 that the machine used to be).  However, some of the
other encryptions that ssh offers are faster, and thus would at least let
you use *some* form of encryption.  I ended up using blowfish because it
was fast enough that our slow machine was still able to send data fast
enough to stream the drive.

Gary Schrock
root@eyelab.msu.edu