Date:      Mon, 31 Jan 2011 01:03:52 -0500
From:      jhell <jhell@DataIX.net>
To:        "Vladislav V. Prodan" <universite@ukr.net>
Cc:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [ZFS] How to change the geom label for a disk without losing data in the ZFS pool?

On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 22:47, universite@ wrote:
> Why does not appear glabel label  when connecting to a ZFS pool???
>
> # zpool status
>  pool: tank
> state: ONLINE
> scrub: scrub in progress for 9h7m, 51,27% done, 8h40m to go
> config:
>
>        NAME           STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
>        tank           ONLINE       0     0     0
>          raidz2       ONLINE       0     0     0
>            gpt/disk0  ONLINE       0     0     0
>            gpt/disk1  ONLINE       0     0     0
>            gpt/disk2  ONLINE       0     0     0
>            gpt/disk3  ONLINE       0     0     0
>            gpt/disk4  ONLINE       0     0     0

>            ad18p1     ONLINE       0     0     0

You are attaching or have attached this disk to the pool. When attached...
gpt/* label/* gptid/* remove them self because the provider is now in use.
This is expected correct behavior.

> errors: No known data errors
>
> # zpool offline tank ad18p1
> # glabel list ad18p1
> Geom name: ad18p1
> Providers:
> 1. Name: gpt/disk5

Here you have generically labeled a gpt/* already labeled disk which makes
no sense... It is already labeled. Labeling it again with a generic label
is only going to cause what you found out below.

>   Mediasize: 750156339712 (699G)
>   Sectorsize: 512
>   Mode: r0w0e0
>   secoffset: 0
>   offset: 0
>   seclength: 1465149101
>   length: 750156339712
>   index: 0
> Consumers:
> 1. Name: ad18p1
>   Mediasize: 750156339712 (699G)
>   Sectorsize: 512
>   Mode: r0w0e0
> # zpool online tank ad18p1

Here you have on-lined ad18p1 so therefore gpt/disk5 which you have
generically mis-labeled with glabel(8), disappears... as stated earlier,
this is expected behavior.

> # glabel list ad18p1
> glabel: No such geom: ad18p1.

glabel(8) generic labels are not for use with gpart(8) '-l'. There is no
benefit to using both... Choose one or the other, but I would suggest that
if you have already been through the trouble of setting up your disks with
gpart + GPT then continue to use the gpt/* labels and skip using
glabel(8).

- --

  jhell