Date:      Wed, 17 Dec 1997 01:23:22 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@freebsd.org>
To:        garbanzo@hooked.net (Alex)
Cc:        dyson@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Pentium optimizations

Alex said:

> The response(s) I got to my "I'm a newbie, anyone know about this problem"
> was basically met with "well no FreeBSD developers have contacted us, and
> if they did we'd accept/commit/whatever some changes..".

I expected that they would be cooperative (the EGCS group appears to be
culturally similar to us (modulo-GPL).)  John Polstra is really our
most active ELF/Compiler person, and so he would likely be a better
"official FreeBSD" interface.  He is also less politically likely to
insert his foot into his eating orifice.  I do have some PPro mods,
and they appear to help performance on average.  The PPro is a
really wierd creature (like the K6.)  The darned processor does so
much optimization, it appears to be insensitive to code mods.  There are
areas of reasonable payoffs, and lots of "obvious" optimizations that
end up being neutral.