Date:      Sun, 03 Oct 1999 12:55:51 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        J McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: freebsd's life expectancy

Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> On Sun, 3 Oct 1999, J McKitrick wrote:
>
> > I don't really want to start a flame war, but...
> > I just installed freebsd and i LOVE it.  SHould i be concerned that
> > freeBSD will die out someday, since it is not really a commerical
> > enterprise, but is supported by volunteers?
>
> Considering that:
>
> 1) it has considerable commercial backing. (*)
> 2) tripled userbase in the last year
> 3) been around since '92/'93
>
> no, i think FreeBSD will be around for a long time.

People can spend a lot of time on a personal project and feel good.
When you purchase something and feel ripped off, $98 USA can be too
much. They may spend a man-month on something such as FreeBSD and feel
good at spending the time. They don't have access to the commercial
sources and get frustrated. They can't solve a problem and the large
system vendors require a lot of testing time before they appear to get
around_to_it.

I use Windows and FreeBSD because I believe that it is easier to match
a project to its needs than it is to force a project onto a system
where there is no easy way to deal with it. Every system has an area
where they do something better than the others do. In that area, they
are the lead dog and everyone that has seen a dog sled race knows that
the sceenery only changes for the lead dog :).

I also think FreeBSD will be around for a long time.

Kent

> -Alfred
>
> (*) many of the 'volunteers' are from companies that use FreeBSD
> in thier own products, these companies would like FreeBSD to stick
> around.

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com