Date:      Wed, 08 May 2002 07:15:44 -0700
From:      rob <rob@pythonemproject.com>
To:        Vinod <geekvinod@yahoo.com>, "freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org" <freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: spectrum analyzer recommendation

Vinod wrote:

> can anyone recommend me some go

od and relatively cheap
> spectrum
> analyzers?
> all i need them for is to test interference from and
> adjoining lab which has bluetooth and a wlan access
> point.i run some clients on 802.11b in my lab in
> ad-hoc mode.
> i had a look at berkely varitronics' grasshopper but
> was wondering if anyone has some good recommendations
> to products they have used.
> Thanks in advance,
> Vinod

Tucker (www.tucker.com) has some inexpensive really old HP series, but
they are really boatanchors.  Yet of very high quality.  I forget the
series number.  Hameg and another company has modern ones that are a
couple K$. (the min IF BW sucks) The real deal from Agilent costs $35K
and up.

You may be able to use one of the new freq counters from
Optoelectronics.  They are portable and have an antenna and high gain
front end for use in sniffing out RF sources.  I hear they've been used
at DefCon for sniffing out the FBI freq's and such.
www.optoelectronics.com.

Have fun.  Rob.