Date:      18 Apr 2001 14:06:50 -0400
From:      Edward Ajhar <ajhar@physics.miami.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Does X change default erase char from ^? to ^H ?

I've checked the FAQ and the mailing list archives, and I have not
found an answer to this question.

I changed from 3-stable to 4-stable about a month ago, and now stty
shows that my erase char is ^H instead of the usual default ^?
setting.  (I know all about this issue as I have been using unix for
17 years.  I am not changing the setting myself.)  So, does anyone
know where it is being changed?  Does X, knowing what keyboard I am
using, assume (1) that the labeled "Backspace" will produce "^H" and
(2) that I would therefore want "^H" to be my erase character?  If so,
how can I make X stop doing that?  Or, have I missed something?

I double checked with /usr/include/sys/ttydefaults.h, and it indeed
has 0177 as the default erase char.

I am using XFree86 3.3.6.

Thank you for any help anyone can offer.

--Ed Ajhar