Date:      Mon, 09 Jun 1997 11:51:14 -0500
From:      Wm Brian McCane <root@bmccane.uit.net>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Old standards

Howdy,

	I used to work for a company which built equipment for the railroads.
We had a box called a Hot Box Detector (HBD) for detecting bad bearings on a
train and telling it to stop.  Anyway, it used a little dingus which did
ADPCM, at 32K samples/second, and `spoke' the alarm to the train over the
radio.  If anyone knows about ADPCM, it only requires about 4K bytes to do a
32K/second audio stream.  I was thinking about putting together a program for
audio over the internet using a software version of ADPCM for real-time
chatting.  An 11K/second stream would need about 1375 bytes per second to
tranfer, so it should work on a 14.4 modem with bytes to spare for the
TCP/IP overhead, and ADPCM is fairly compressible by modems which might allow
even better performance or quality.  Anyway, I was curious if this is old hat
(Real Audio maybe), or if noone has considered using this 10+ year old
technology.

	brian