Date:      Wed, 26 Jul 2006 15:24:40 +0200
From:      Fabian Keil <freebsd-listen@fabiankeil.de>
To:        peter.thoenen@yahoo.com
Cc:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 6.1 Tor issues (Once More, with Feeling)

--Sig_YW5EOluSz=nTM0Je0IZXF/V

Fabian Keil <freebsd-listen@fabiankeil.de> wrote:

> Peter Thoenen <peter.thoenen@yahoo.com> wrote:
>=20
> > To you have pf running? If so can you turn it off for a bit a see if
> > you still crash.  On my box I was getting all sorts of witness kbd
> > backtraces on pf and since turning pf off (maybe a week ago),
> > haven't crashed yet.  Going to let it keep running unmetered for
> > another 2 weeks and see if I crash or not.

How is it going, Peter, still running?
=20
> I'm running Tor jailed and use PF for NAT, port forwarding and
> filtering: http://tor.fabiankeil.de/pf-stats/
>=20
> So far I didn't see a single PF related complaint from witness,
> but I'll try disabling PF in a few days anyway.

It took a little longer than I thought, but I finally
disabled PF today and switched to natd.

> At the moment I'm still testing if enabling polling really
> increases the uptime.

I'm still not sure, however polling made it possible to
use fxp0 without acpi, the hangs still occur and the serial
console still becomes unresponsive though.

On another wild guess I switched Tor's threading library
from libpthread to libthr. While it doesn't seem
to affect the uptime, it makes Tor's cpu usage visible
in top, so maybe it would be a good default for tor-devel?

Fabian
--=20
http://www.fabiankeil.de/