Date:      Wed, 25 Oct 1995 09:52:07 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        lmcerpr@lmc.ericsson.se (Eric Primeau)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, lmcerpr@lmc.ericsson.se, jkh@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Missing operating system

> I perform a "Minimal" installation from Media="DOS partition" and it seems to succeed
> with no error messages.   NOTE: I choose the "Boot Manager" option.
>
> When all is finished and I reboot, the boot manager prompts me for:
> F1 DOS     F5 disk 2
>
> If I choose F1, DOS boots OK.
> If I choose F5, I get "Missing operating system" and the system hangs.

This is something I experienced, and probably should go in the FAQ.
Certain BIOSes (my Intel Zappa 100 is one of those) do an automatical
remapping of the drive geometry if they find >1023 cyls, while the
boot manager apparently uses the standard geometry. I think this
way only the partition at the beginning of the disk can boot.

You should disable this feature in the BIOS.

	Luigi
Luigi Rizzo                     Dip. di Ingegneria dell'Informazione
email: luigi@iet.unipi.it       Universita' di Pisa
tel: +39-50-568533              via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 PISA (Italy)
fax: +39-50-568522              http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/