Date:      Mon, 14 Aug 95 12:42:03 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        babkin@hq.icb.chel.su (Serge A. Babkin)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /sys/compat?

> > We need a place to bring the new iBCS2 stuff from Steven Wallace (he
> > as succeeded in porting the NetBSD emulation code to FreeBSD and is
> > now able to run applications such as WordPerfect and FoxPro;
> > congradulations and kudos to Steven!).  He suggests /sys/compat, which
> > sounds like as good a place as any.
> >
> > Any objections or suggestions as to a better place for this stuff?
>
> May be /sys/i386/compat ? I think iBCS2 support is processor dependent.

It's not.  Consider Solaris/SunOS binary compatability.

Consider PPC AIX/Solaris binary compatability (both are coff, but one
is Big Endian, one is Little).

Effectively the NetBSD code uses hard coded variant symbolic links by
hacking the search code in the namei to dual path things.

This isn't necessarily my first choice, but it'll do until something
better comes along.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---