Date:      Thu, 09 Jan 2003 08:25:20 -0500
From:      Ken Stailey <kstailey@speakeasy.net>
To:        KATO Tsuguru <tkato@prontomail.com>, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports/46435: Update port: print/ghostscript-afpl to 8.00 (fix ports/46146)

KATO Tsuguru wrote:

>On Tue, 07 Jan 2003 23:20:13 -0500
>Ken Stailey <kstailey@speakeasy.net> wrote:
>

>>WHY IS THE STP DRIVER NOT IN THE PORTS TREE BY DEFAULT???
>>
>>WHY IS THERE NO OPTION TO USE THE STP DRIVER IF IT IS STILL A
>>REQUIREMENT FOR MANY PRINTERS???
>>

>Unfortunately, as far as I see, STP driver is imcompatible
>with AFPL-gs 8.00 at source-code level. IJS driver and
>ijsgimpprint (included in print/gimp-print port) would be
>the most appropriate upgrade path.
>
>If you still have to continue using STP driver under the
>current state, I guess the one-and-only choice is to use
>GNU-gs.

But:

# pwd
/usr/ports/print/ghostscript-gnu
# sed 1,/DJ970_SRCS=/d Makefile | head -10

# Gimp-Print - very high quality driver for Epson, HPs,...
# http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/
#
# NOTE:
# Support of stp driver interface has already been discontinued, and using
# ijs driver with ijsgimpprint (part of print/gimp-print port) is highly
# recommended.
#
# For that reason, integlation of stp driver is disabled by default.

So what is the upgrade path?   Throw out my  printer which used to work
fine until the ports "upgrade"?