Date:      Sat, 27 Jun 1998 13:36:14 -0500
From:      Karl Denninger  <karl@mcs.net>
To:        "Vadim V. Chepkov" <vvc@kharkiv.net>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: (FWD) QPOPPER REMOTE ROOT EXPLOIT

Declare the variable static, among other things.

Now if you overrun it you cannot corrupt the return stack, as the variable
is allocated out of bss at program init, not off the stack as an automatic
variable.

That's a valid (if messy) "quick fix" for these kinds of problems.

Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - Serving Chicagoland and Wisconsin
http://www.mcs.net/          | T1's from $600 monthly / All Lines K56Flex/DOV