Date:      Sat, 26 Feb 2000 19:56:55 +0100 (CET)
From:      hm@kts.org (Hellmuth Michaelis)
To:        tobi@physcip.uni-stuttgart.de
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: early hangup causing exorbitant telecom fees

Tobias Ernst wrote:

>  HM> From what i see it is not a bug in the i4b ISDN code. In case you
> are
>  HM> using sppp, you might have been hit by the lcp-loop bug.
>
> Do I understand this right that if I switch to user ppp I would not
> have to fear to be hit by the lcp loop bug again, assuming that it was
> the lcp loop bug that caused the problem?

It seems that userland ppp is more robust and has more features available
than sppp. It is unlikely that you will be hit by this bug again with
userland ppp but this will not save you from other bugs in your or the
remote end implementation of ppp.

There were some proposals in the past to introduce a keyword for the
entry section in isdnd.rc which should limit the maximum number of dials
per time unit: this would be IMHO the best way to protect for such
desasters.

>  HM> IIRC the sppp loop bug was seen with Ascends.
>
> Does this indicate that the problem was essentially a bug in my FreeBSD
> code, but that this was triggered by some sort of misbehaviour in the
> Ascend?

I am only guessing here, but it seems that the problem is a bug in some
versions of sppp which is triggered by some sort of behaviour in some
versions of an Ascend.

hellmuth
--
Hellmuth Michaelis                hm@kts.org                   Hamburg, Europe
 We all live in a yellow subroutine, yellow subroutine, yellow subroutine ...