Date:      Tue, 24 Jan 1995 16:46:50 +0100 (MET)
From:      j@uriah.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        vazquez@iqm.unicamp.br (Pedro A M Vazquez)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: Virus Scanner

As Pedro A M Vazquez wrote:

| I've modified it to run under 2.0 but the author has released the
| latest version with the modifications.
| I think this is a good package to be added to FBSD distribution

Basically agreed.

A few problems i've been noticing so far:

. The emulator shouldn't say goodbye if it enters an unknown
  instruction -- a real 8086 also continued to work in this case.
  The point is that some programs tend to execute known-to-be-286
  instr's to see which CPU they run on.

. A few 8086 instr's are missing (for no good reason, e.g. DAS).

. The keymap handling (deducing the scan code from what
  XLookupString() reports) is bogus.  The bogosity becomes already
  apparent when looking at the workarounds he hooked into the
  source for the UK keyboard, but considering things like a
  german or more weird keyboard, another customization method is
  needed.  I've created something that allows a keystring ->
  scancode mapping out of the .pcemurc file.

For all the above, i will yet have to contact the original author
though.

--
cheers, J"org                             work:      --- no longer ---
                                          private:   joerg_wunsch@uriah.sax.de